Thursday, June 19, 2014

Release Day Blast: Scoring Wilder by R.S Grey {Review & Excerpt}

Welcome to our Scoring Wilder Release day blast! Technically the book released a few days ago BUT we can still celebrate this amazing story, right? Right! Help us celebrate author R.S. Grey and her wonderful story! I loved this book so much and I can't wait for you guys to get your hands on it! Below there is an excerpt provided by the author as well as my review so enjoy and thanks for stopping by! -Hootie

tag14


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: New Adult
Publication Date: June 15th 2014
Pages: 402
Format: eARC
Source: Provided by author for review



20140506-212240.jpg

tag17

What started out as a joke— seduce Coach Wilder—soon became a goal she had to score. With Olympic tryouts on the horizon, the last thing nineteen-year-old Kinsley Bryant needs to add to her plate is Liam Wilder. He's a professional soccer player, America's favorite bad-boy, and has all the qualities of a skilled panty-dropper. • A face that makes girls weep – check. • Abs that can shred Parmesan cheese (the expensive kind) – check. • Enough confidence to shift the earth’s gravitational pull – double check. Not to mention Liam is strictly off limits . Forbidden. Her coaches have made that perfectly clear. (i.e. “Score with Coach Wilder anywhere other than the field and you’ll be cut from the team faster than you can count his tattoos.”) But that just makes him all the more enticing…Besides, Kinsley's already counted the visible ones, and she is not one to leave a project unfinished. Kinsley tries to play the game her way as they navigate through forbidden territory, but Liam is determined to teach her a whole new definition for the term “team bonding.” A fun & sexy New Adult Romance (age 17+) 

add-to-goodreads-button31 (1)




  tag19 

 But just before she stepped inside, I heard the same sexy voice that I’d heard the previous night— the voice that said, I'm sexy and I know it. "Morning ladies." Every single girl froze and we turned in unison. Liam Wilder was standing a few feet away wearing workout gear and a friendly smile. Of course his friendly smile could easily be misconstrued for a take-your-panties-off smile, so it's a wonder we all managed to mutter shocked hellos. I guess he'd pulled up in the parking lot a few minutes after we did.

 I peered behind him and saw a black Mercedes SUV parked in the spot closest to the field house. A photographer was snapping pictures on the other side of the fence. Jeez, they wake up this early to get pictures of him? "Oh, hi Liam." Tara smiled wide. I shot Becca a gag-me face. "You guys should probably call me Coach Wilder while we're at practice," he admonished. I had to fight to keep from cracking up. 

The shocked look on Tara's face was absolutely priceless, but it still wasn't enough to make me forget the awkwardness of the situation. I couldn't look up at him. The last time we'd spoken, I'd literally asked him to show me his tattoos, which we both knew really meant I wanted him to show me his soccer balls. Hah. 

I'd have to tell Becca that one later. I tugged her and Emily forward without acknowledging Liam and headed for the conference room. Thankfully, Coach Davis was there already and Liam didn't follow us in.



photo (38)


Hootie's Review:


"Cheat on me once, shame on him. Cheat on me twice...what the actual fuck is going on?"

With an opener like THAT, I knew Scoring Wilder was going to big a hit. About a month ago a very dear friend of mine started raving about a book she was proof reading. This particular friend never raves. Like, at ALL! I knew if she was going ape shit over this story then it had to be pretty damn stellar. I'm happy to report that not only was she right, this book may be one of my tippy top favorites of the entire year it was so good!

Soccer is not my chosen sport to follow or participate in. I'm a football gal through and through but I loved the feel and the heart behind this one. Kinsley is a young girl with serious potential to go far in the soccer world. She's dedicated, strong, skilled and determined. She's chosen one of the best colleges in the country being coached by an woman who has Olympic experience and that's the heroine's goal. To make it all the way to the Olympics. Nothing makes me happier in a book than when I get a strong female heroine with a good head on her shoulders who knows what she wants out of life and strives for it. Kinsley has been named one of the top players in the country and starts to get a little media attention but ultimately doesn't let it get to her. With a team of all girls there's some serious cattiness going on especially from one particular girl named Tara, the team captain, who seems to have it out for Kinsley. Tara's behavior towards Kinsley is sketchy at best but gets worse when Liam Wilder shows up to help coach the team.

I try my best not get swept up into book hype. I really do. I like to make my own damn decisions without the influence of others breathing down my neck. For some reason though, the hype about this guy couldn't be stopped because I was already loving him from the synopsis and from listening to my friend gush about him. Liam Wilder is your A-typical bad boy. He's the top soccer player in the country, he's got his pick of any woman he wants and he's pretty freaking rich. Not to mention the guy is FOIN! Not fine. FOY-NAH! Hot! He's got a smile that liquefies panties in zero point two, abs that can break hearts and stamina to outlast the energizer bunny. These are not the types of guys I usually find myself gravitating to because I'm not into the over-sexed slutty guys. So how did Liam win me over? Because he's a wonderful mix of things. He's compassionate, he's strong, he has the utmost patience to deal with a group of catty girls and he's loyal. Kinsley turns his head early on and keeps his attention. His image has taken a hit recently and he's ended up losing a few sponsors due to his playboy status but he's since seen the error of his ways and kept his over worked protrusion in the corral.

Scoring Wilder had a lot going on plot wise and there was never a moment where the story felt stalled or stagnant. Everything flowed at a steady pace that kept me interested page after page. One of the biggest driving factors is the romance between Kinsley and Liam. Forbidden fruit? INDEED! How juicy is that? Because he's there to coach, the girls are warned to stay away from him not only due to a conflict of interest but with his reputation in the media as a hound dog it has the potential to rub off on whoever is with him. Don't let the kibosh fool you though because Kinsley and Liam pay as much attention to the warning as the T-Rex did to the electric fence in Jurassic Park! I loved these two characters and wanted so badly to see them together. The sizzling underlying attraction between them was painful building up because they both tried to stay away. Kinsley didn't just goes balls to the wall and throw everything she's worked hard for away just because she was interested in a  guy and the message that sends was such a euphoric moment. I loved knowing that despite Kinsley's hormones she kept a somewhat level head and actually weighed the pros and cons of being in a relationship with Liam. She didn't let her past failed relationships, with both previous exes cheating on her, get in the way too much. She actually gave Liam a fighting chance and didn't focus too much on his previous behavior. And how often do you see a guy who is willing to put himself on the line to protect not only the girl's reputation but her dreams and aspirations? I don't see enough of that with all the hair pulling and gruff commands in most books now. This couple respected each other and they respected themselves and for me that was the real shining accomplishment of Scoring Wilder.

Do you like to laugh? Who doesn't right? I love to laugh, but more than that I love making people laugh. Being a constant source of comedy for my friends it's kind of hard to make me laugh but Grey wrote an incredibly witty, sarcastically funny story with characters that were easily relatable and just fun. The friendships between Kinsley and the two other freshmen on the team , Becca and Emily reminded me of the friendships I have with my close girlfriends. The way they addressed each other and conversed back and forth made me laugh but mainly made me feel as if I was sitting with my friends while reading. That was a wonderful thing to experience while investing my time in this book. Along with Kinsley and Liam's relationship I loved watching Becca find someone in Liam's friend Penn and the adorableness of their relationship sort of felt like I was getting two stories in one. That's always a huge bonus for me because I always fall in love with secondary characters. I wouldn't mind seeing more about Penn and Becca should the author decide to go that route.

If I could sum up Scoring Wilder in just one word it would be....NOPE. Can't be done. There are too many adjectives that need to be used to describe this book. Funny, Sweet, Romantic, Sexy as hell, etc... It's not often you find a New Adult book with a mostly drama free couple that clicks so well and actually feels believable but Liam and Kinsley had that magic. Yes they faced some mild drama but the bond between them was so strong you barely had to bat an eyelash. I was completely consumed by this couple and their story and I tried really hard not to put it down but I had to stop and share quotes along the way. A Lot! If you want a book with a strong heroine who actually possesses common sense, a hero with a big heart that will make you melt and seriously side splitting humor then you absolutely want Scoring Wilder now!





Quotes:

~ I watched him walk into the kitchen with people trailing after him like love-sick puppies. I could get so much done if I had people following me around all day. "You there, make me lunch, and you, fan me with tiny blades of grass." eARC 4%

~ Damnit, he was distracting me. I was supposed to be Nancy Drew, and instead I was Nancy Draw-the-blinds-and-put-it-in-me. Wait, what? eARC 13%

~ Cue the dream sequence of Liam running slowly on a beach carrying me in his arms. I love how he's strong enough to carry me with one arm while using the other arm to feed the seagulls. He's such an animal lover like that. eARC 14%

~ He was the northern star. I had no choice but to become enveloped in his brightness and let it coax me toward him. Wanting him was an unconscious impulse, like taking my next breath. 
eARC 37%

"Kinsley, I've never liked any girl more than I like M&M's."
I laughed and let my head fall back against the wall.
"Am I getting close?" I joked.
"I'd say I like you more than regular M&M's, but you're going to have to really step it up if you want to beat out peanut M&M's."
"I have a tough road ahead of me."
"I think you can do it," he joked, and I smiled against the phone.
"Challenge accepted."
eARC 53%

20140506-212251.jpg

tag35
tag15

I am a lover of books, chocolate, good TV, metaphors and similes, black labs, and cold weather. Seriously, if I had it my way I would be curled up on the couch with all of those things... everyday. I live in Texas where I spend my free time writing and reading. My favorite authors are Mindy Kaling & Jonathan Safran Foer. I'm a comedy geek and love all things "funny". Women like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Mindy Kaling are definitely the biggest inspirations for my writing, though I think my work tends to skew a bit smuttier than theirs.




photo (22)








1 comment:

We love getting your comments so lay it on us! Thanks for stopping by!