Sunday, July 28, 2013

Left Drowning by Jessica Park {Review}


Genre: New Adult/Contemporary Romance
Published: July 16, 2013
Pages: 399







What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?

Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chris Shepherd, whose past may be even more complicated than her own. As their relationship deepens, Chris pulls Blythe out of the stupor she’s been in since the night a fire took half her family. She begins to heal, and even, haltingly, to love this guy who helps her find new paths to pleasure and self-discovery. But as Blythe moves into calmer waters, she realizes Chris is the one still strangled by his family’s traumatic history. As dark currents threaten to pull him under, Blythe may be the only person who can keep him from drowning.

*This book is intended for mature audiences due to strong language and sexual content.

Note: due to mature content recommended for Ages 17+



My Take

I just finished reading Left Drowning by Jessica Park. I don't feel the slightest bit qualified to review this amazing book. I've haven't read any of this author's other books (yes I will remedy this grave oversight). But when two of my favorite authors (Abbi Glines and Colleen Hoover) say it's a must read book, I must read it. So without any clue what this story would be about, I bought Left Drowning and set about reading it.

This story is about so many things: life and death, love and hate, faith and hopelessness, strength and weakness, joy and depression. The characters, all of them, experience all of these emotions through the course of the story and it's written so well that you experience them as well. I almost forgot to mention passion. Good Lord the passion. Yes, all kinds of water works from this story if you get my drift. It's hard to feel like the story was just about the leading couple Blythe and Chris. Blythe's brother James and Chris's two brothers and a sister are on this emotional journey as well. I absolutely loved all of these characters.

At times in the story, the author gives us glimpses of memories Blythe and Chris have either blocked out or can only remember pieces of. But their lives are entwined in ways they are not prepared for when they first meet. I don't want to share any of the story line in my review because part of the greatness of this story is how the author weaves her magic so you are on the journey of discovery with the characters. God I probably sound so stupid saying that but it's true. It's one of the best books of the year. Go read it.


Favorite Quotes
 
 
"There is no set pattern to grief, despite what every stupid psych text has told me. There is no time frame that dictates when and how you'll feel what you feel. You just get to deal with hell however, and whenever, it hits you."--page 202
 
"I'm going to miss the fucking fuck out of you." I laugh. "And I'm going to miss the fucking fuck out of you too." "And I'll video chat the holy shit out of you all the time."--page 286
 
"You need songs that make you feel. Some make you strong, some make you weak. Some build determination, some tear you apart. But you need all of those."--page 59


 Author Bio and links
 

Jessica Park is the author of the young adult novels FLAT-OUT LOVE and RELATIVELY FAMOUS; five Gourmet Girl mysteries (written as Jessica Conant-Park with her mother, mystery author Susan Conant); and the e-shorts FACEBOOKING RICK SPRINGFIELD and WHAT THE KID SAYS (Parts 1 & 2).

Jessica grew up in the Boston area and attended Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. After spending four years in the frigid north, including suffering through one memorable Halloween blizzard, Jessica hightailed it back to the east coast. She now lives in (relatively balmy) New Hampshire with her husband, son, bananas dog named Fritzy, and two selfish cats. When not writing, Jessica indulges her healthy addictions to Facebook, Rick Springfield, and super-sweet coffee beverages.

 





MUST READ OF THE YEAR



2 comments:

  1. Y'all prolly have countless Kleenex coupons to go with these books!This is why I avoid NA, not because I dislike it but because the ones worth my time are tearjerkers. And when I cry over books its the ugly unattractive type. Ugh! So I'll just read it vicariously thru y'all!

    Braine

    ReplyDelete

We love getting your comments so lay it on us! Thanks for stopping by!