Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Rocker That Needs Me (The Rocker #3) by Terri Anne Browning {Review}

Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Expected Publication: July 2013
Series: The Rocker #3
Publisher: Self Published
Format: Beta/ARC provided by author for review


The Demon…I’ve been fighting my own demons for most of my life. The alcohol seems to numb the pain, but it never makes the nightmares go away. All I want in life is a little peace. When I met my angel it felt like I found it, but there is so much standing between us. Why does she have to be so young…? The Demon’s Angel…Meeting Drake was the best thing to ever happen to me. I found my friend, my soul mate. But he lets my age stand between us. There is something that haunts him, and I selfishly want to be the one that helps him conquer his ghosts. If he would just let me in, let me closer, I think I could help him…

MY TAKE:
From the beginning of the series I knew Drake would be the main character I would want to read about the most aside from the others. With his night terrors, excessive drinking and dark demeanor which everyone tried to stay clear of, Drake was by far the most screwed up out of all the guys. The Rocker That Needs me was intense, heartbreaking and healing all in one.

When Lana and Drake first met in The Rocker That Savors Me, Lana was very young. Her friendship with Drake both worried and relieved his band members because Lana seemed to make his demons go away the more time they spent together. We didn't get to see much of them in the second book but we got glimpses of them through the other characters points of view but this book spends the first half filling in the blanks we missed from them. Drake is dealing with some issues from his past that cause him extreme night terrors usually ending in him being ill the day after. The only way he can keep the reminders away is to drink excessively and pass out before it sets in. Only his band understands what's going on, with Emmie being the one to usually clean up after him when it's over. It's not until Lana comes into his life that everything begins to change for him be it good or bad his life won't be the same again.

There is no way to classify my adoration for Drake's character. He is broken, tormented, and deeply wounded by something that happened with his step dad as a child. It wasn't until the second book that I started to understand exactly why Drake was so hurt but this book shed even more light on his problems. It was hard for me being so attached to his character to see the pain he goes through but it was very cathartic in a way. I really loved walking through the healing process with him and wholeheartedly enjoyed watching him with Lana. He shows a different side to himself when he is with her and I LOVED seeing him hopeful. The main thing I loved was how the band stood behind him and loved him through the tough times and there are some struggles he faces in this book. Not just within himself but with Lana also. They have grown closer over the years and a relationship begins to bud but before it takes off everything changes for them from just one night in Vegas. The impact of that night is enough to send Lana to New York to try and forget and start a life going to college.

Lana's character was one of my favorite females in this series. When we first meet her she is young and a little naive but as this book progresses you see her mature and change into a woman who handles the disappointments in life and love with grace. When she meets Drake she is a young teenage girl and despite their growing feelings nothing happens between them until later in the story. You get to see their friendship slowly build in this book. I loved Lana from minute one. After surviving a life living with a bad mother until she passed, being raised by her sister, Lana was closed off when she first appeared. The only one who seemed to be able to get through to her was Drake and I fell for this couple for that reason alone and rooted for them so badly! I loved watching her be his rock of support when he needed a lifeline. She understood him in a way no one else did even though she didn't fully understand his problems because he hid them from her. When she still found out and offered him unconditional acceptance I think my heart melted. These two go through some serious rocky times and there are some moments in the book you might wonder if things will happen for them at all. Even with those moments though Lana handled herself so beautifully and mature even when facing your worst nightmare. I think her quiet strength was the main reason I fell so hard for her character.

The chemistry between these two was immediate, even despite the gap in their age and them just being friends it was hard not to root for them to make it. This was probably the first book where I wasn't too concerned with the steamy scenes because I was too caught up in the romance but that's not to say the book didn't have heat. There was one particular scene I won't soon forget because it had me fanning myself and putting the book down for some private time! The relationship between them though was the shinning light of the book. I loved how everything worked out between them even it it was intensely dramatic and equally heart wrenching, it was rewarding to see them fight so hard to be together and overcome life's obstacles.

The supporting cast from the previous two books make appearances throughout this one that added humor and tender moments fans of the series will absolutely enjoy. Emmie is back in all her fierce glory as well as Lana's sister Layla who is just as feisty and hilarious as Em. There are a few new additions in the story being Lana's college roommates with one of them, Harper, capturing the heart of the groups "Ladies Man" Shane. I am so excited to see what the next book brings for these two I can hardly wait. I loved seeing all of them again and enjoy how the author keeps them all a tight group, almost like family throughout the books. They don't just fade into obscurity once their book is finished. Overall The Rocker That Needs Me was intense, emotional and beautiful. If you are worried about the age difference in the story being at all creepy, let me put your mind at ease. IT ISN'T! The author handled Drake and Lana's relationship and the progression of their feelings so well you really don't notice the difference. This is hands down my favorite book in the series with Lana and Drake being one of my favorite book couples in all the books I have read. I highly recommend this series if you need some good steamy romance involving hot rockers and strong women, but read this one with a box of Kleenex and a book buddy! 



Quotes:

"I never want this moment to end." he murmured and kissed my lips. "I don't want the nightmares to creep in and take this dream away from me." eARC 24%

"There is no better feeling" he growled. "Drake..." I shifted my hips, urging him to move. "Please." eARC 63%

"You aren't wrong for me, Drake. You're the best thing in my world. I can't imagine my life without you." eARC 90%


Links:






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I am so looking forward reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really intrigued by Demon in the first book. And even though I didn't love that book, it seems these keep getting better and better. I love this review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read the first one. I started it, but haven't had a chance to finish it.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting your comments so lay it on us! Thanks for stopping by!