Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sultry Spring Saturdays 4/6: Strangers On A Train {Mini Reviews}


"Spring is here, and pollen is in the air. While you're sneezing your way towards Summer, pop those Claritin and lose yourself in a Sultry Spring Read."

Sultry Spring Saturdays is a weekly post we created to share our love of "Adult" books with our fellow readers. If you don't care for steamy books or you are under 18, you may not want to continue reading the review below.


Participating blogs:

Feel free to join in. (let us know so we can add a link to your post that week)


Strangers On a Train was conceived by Ruthie Knox, Donna Cummings, Meg McGuire, Serena Bell and Samantha Hunter after conversing about a page on Tumblr that was all about hot guys on trains! I was lucky enough to get ARC's of these novellas and below are my mini reviews of each!



What's a little lie between strangers?  Allie Whittaker is in a dating slump, too busy getting her fledgling marketing company off the ground to have a personal life. All that could change, though, if she can get baseball superstar Matt Kearns on the cover of a charity calendar. Except Matt won't even talk to her. Matt is in a slump, worried his career might be over. A Napa Valley wine tour isn't enough to take his mind off his troubles--until sexy, funny Allie plops into the adjacent seat and tells him three things about herself. One of them, she says, is a lie. Matt can't resist playing along, and soon the afternoon getaway becomes an interlude with lies, truths, and desire flowing as fast as the wine. Then Allie lets slip one truth too many...and they both realize they're playing for keeps. Warning: A handsome hunk, a determined lady and a few glasses of wine. Throw in a little on-the-run action, and what more do you need to while away an afternoon? 

My Take:
This was my favorite story out of all the Strangers novellas and ultimately lead me to my new Pinterest Recipe Buddy Donna Cummings. This story was fun and flirty and I found myself falling in love with this couple easily. What starts out as a fun way to break the ice soon starts to cause problems between Matt and Allie. The entire time they are hanging out she is pretending not to recognize Matt is the famous Ball player and Matt feels relieved she doesn't recognize him. They spend most of the train ride getting to know each other and sharing some hot kisses. When fans start to recognize him Allie steps in and tells them he's not the real Matt Kearns and jokes about him looking like the guy. When she confides in the "Fake" Matt about her ad campaign about wanting him to pose shirtless on the cover she finds out why he has avoided her calls. Eventually the lie unravels and Matt learns the truth behind their encounter. I really loved Matt and Allie together. Their chemistry sizzled from the first meeting and watching them run from fans and get to know each other was great. This story had me so caught up that when it ended I was a little bummed. I wanted so much more from Matt and Allie and I have even begged the author to write a longer story about them! Novellas are a great way to get a good story in a short amount of time for readers who can't finish a full novel and Back On Track gives you everything you want in a story without taking too much time! 

Favorite Quote:
“I don’t want this to be over,” Matt blurted. “I want to see you again. Tonight. And tomorrow. And the next day after that.” ARC 91%


Is that a cell phone in his pocket...or is he just happy to see her? When Amy Moreland left Seattle, she never expected to see her workaholic ex-boyfriend again. Encountering him on her Connecticut-to-New-York-City commute is the surprise of her life. He seems hell-bent on winning her back, but every time his cell phone rings, it's a painful reminder of how he failed to put her first. Jeff Havers can't help that his phone keeps interrupting his carefully composed apology speech, but having Amy sic the Metro North security team on him is a bit much. Once he talks his way out of handcuffs, he focuses on coaxing Amy to talk about the fears that drove her away. As the train ride takes them through the landscape of their lost life together, sparks fly and remembered heat reignites. But if they're not brave enough to overcome the still-fresh pain of old wounds, it could be too late to pursue what really matters--their ticket home. Warning: This book contains steamy train-car action, sex on the stairs, and a hero determined to give his velvet-and-heels-clad woman exactly what she's looking for.

My Take:
Ticket Home was the book that made me sit up and take notice of Serena Bell. Out of all the Strangers novellas I think one was the most romantic. I love stories about couples who work through their issues and fight to be together. Amy was stubborn and did whatever she could to get Jeff to leave and Jeff was determined to get her back no matter the cost. Jeff started his business from the ground up and fears if he's not there then everything will go to shit. Amy was tired of playing second fiddle to his phone. His obsession with his phone got so bad it affected his performance in the bedroom. I totally understood where Amy was coming from because if a man is too distracted to fuck you right then he gots ta go! I loved watching them reminisce about their lives together up until that point because you get a healthy dose of back story so you know more about the characters. I loved their sexy scenes in this book! Once they get to her townhouse it's like someone firing a gun at the starting line. You find out that due to his busy schedule their previous sex was vanilla at best and now it's like they are discovering something new. Their whole reconciliation has played out on this train (well, besides the sex) and one of their favorite bystanders chimes in with his two sense adding some humor to the situation. The way it ended was so sweet and perfect. I was really happy with the way things worked out for Jeff and Amy and wouldn't mind a follow up story...or two....or SIX!

Favorite Quote:
“I love you, Amy. I know it isn’t easy for you, but I really, really need you to give me another chance. I don’t know what number we’re on now, maybe it’s way more than three, but whatever it is, I need you to give me one.” ARC 88%


Two hearts converge…until fear runs love off the rails. In the years since a horrific car accident left her with a long list of phobias, Brenna Burke has overcome them all except one. Crippling claustrophobia—not a good trait for an aspiring travel writer. With an interview for her dream job looming, Brenna forces herself to board a train for a weekend tour through New York State…only to find her berth has been double booked. Retired NYPD detective Reid Cooper isn’t happy about the mix-up, or his attraction to his petite, sexy roommate. But as their up-close-and-personal weekend progresses, something remarkable happens. Being with Reid makes Brenna feel normal, unafraid of anything. After one passionate night, both are thinking beyond a mere weekend fling. But when Brenna’s last phobia pounces at the worst possible time, she could miss the last boarding call for happily ever after. Warning: This book contains a hot-to-the-touch hero and sizzling sex at high speeds. 

My Take:
Tug at my heartstrings and make me cry why don'tcha? This book was the most emotional of the series because Brenna's journey was sad to experience but beautiful to witness. Her claustrophobia is something i can relate to, and is probably why I hate large crowds. She orders the largest train car they have but because of the double booking she is forced to share space with Reid. This big brute stole my heart and my panties. I love men in uniform and Reid being a former cop was a huge turn on for me. When he first meets Brenna she is almost in a full on panic about his size in the train car and tries to make him leave. It was so funny seeing Reid's reaction to her telling him he's too big, he immediately has a girlie moment thinking she means fat. After giving himself a pep talk he tries to help her by talking out in the open lounge car. As they get to know each other Brenna gets more comfortable with him and confides about her phobias. Reid was really patient and understanding about her fears and did everything he could to help her. The sex between these two was hot but it also gave Brenna something else to focus on besides being afraid. It broke my heart when Brenna and Reid spent a beautiful day together off the train and she couldn't get back on. I was so hoping that Reid had helped her enough and with him being beside her she would be able to. She is upset when the train pulls off without her carrying Reid away. Their whole journey up until this point was fun and sexy and romantic, but my favorite part of this story was Brenna handled her shit on her own. She was able to overcome this final fear of closed spaces without using Reid as a crutch. Him leaving was the catalyst she needed to change. When she gets in her rental car and drives all night to meet him at the next stop I think my skeleton jumped out of my skin! I was so excited and started yelling in my apartment "GO GET YOUR MAN GIRL!". I am sure my neighbors think I am a psycho cat lady who talks to herself. Overall this little novella packed serious drama, romance and heat into a tiny package. (haha I said tiny package!) I will definitely be looking forward to more from Samantha Hunter in the future!

Favorite Quote:
“That’s not your job. I mean, I appreciate your help— it’s made all the difference in the world— but the fact that you didn’t stay helped me realize what I had to do. It was good that you walked away; I deserved it. You weren’t a crutch. You were a… miracle. You made me realize what I could do.” ARC 93%



The last train of the night might just be the start of something good. Stung ego or not, Caitlin’s relieved her fizzling relationship is over, even if she’s just been unceremoniously dumped between the copier and a dead ficus tree. At least she has an excuse to ditch the lousy office Christmas party in time to catch the last subway home…to her cat, and early-onset spinsterhood. Instead of a lonely, chilly ride, she gets an unexpected holiday treat in the form of a nearly familiar face—a handsome stranger she encountered last week at the blood drive. At the end of the line, neither can seem to let their chance meeting end—until their extended flirtation finds them facing the prospect of spending a frigid winter night locked in an unheated subway station. And they wonder if keeping each other warm is merely a delightful form of rebound therapy…or a memorable first of many more dates to come. Warning: Contains dorky, harmless flirtation that heats up into some spicy, third-base action.

My Take:
So you got this girl Caitlin who has wasted her time with a guy who had the balls to dump her at Christmas! At an office work party no less! I would have gotten plastered and told everyone he was a hermaphrodite! When Caitlin gets locked away with sexy Mark in the subway (eat fresh) she starts to forget all about her bastard ex. These two obviously hit it off and spend their time locked up sipping champagne and getting frisky with each other. What I loved about this book was Mark! He was such a gentleman and that's exactly what Caitlin needed at that moment. Coming from her office party she isn't dressed to rough the cold in a concrete bunker so Mark gives up his jacket and gloves to keep her warm! {Insert Aw here} These two were very playful and fun, and it seemed like they had known each other for years the way they immediately took to one another. It was funny to be able to see what went through Caitlin's head during her time with Mark. She had an inner dialogue that had me cracking up several times. Although I worry about people who talk to their pets, the shit Caitlin says to her cat Fatty-Fatty Fur Pants is great. It's like this cat is a whole other character added into the story except it shits in a box. I felt like I could relate to Caitlin's character because she too has a hard time focusing when she's making out with a hot guy. She would start daydreaming about their future time together and the hot moments they could share in the bedroom. This was my first experience with Meg McGuire but won't be my last and I have to say she knocked it out of the park for me. 

Favorite Quote:
“You’ll be warmer, and I promise I won’t grope you or anything.” Yes, because getting groped by a handsome, charming man hours after getting dumped by a workaholic iceberg was such a repulsive notion. ARC 56%





He'll be any man she wants--except himself. Meet me at the train museum after dark. Dress for 1957. When Mandy joins an online dating service, she keeps her expectations low. All she wants is a distraction from the drudgery of single parenthood and full-time work. But the invitation she receives from a handsome man who won’t share his real name promises an adventure—and a chance to pretend she’s someone else for a few hours. She doesn’t want romance to complicate her life, but Mandy’s monthly role-playing dates with her stranger on a train—each to a different time period—become the erotic escape she desperately needs. And a soul connection she never expected. Yet when she tries to draw her lover out of the shadows, Mandy has a fight on her hands…to convince him there’s a place for their fantasy love in the light of day. Warning: Contains sexy role-playing, theatrical application of coal dust, and a hero who can rock a pair of brown polyester pants.

My Take:
Ruthie Knox has become one of my Go-To authors. Any time I need a romantic story with some racy love scenes I can always count on her. Big Boy was no different. When Mandy signs on for online dating she doesn't think she will find true love, she just wants to enjoy herself and escape the pressures of being a single mother from time to time. She gets that in Tyler although she doesn't know his real name because he plays a different character every time they meet. He doesn't want to know her, he just wants to escape the burden of caring for his sickly father. together these two get lost in each other and boy is that shit hot. I was never into role playing myself but the way this couple does it is hot! Ruthie knows how to write hot sex because this one had me sitting on a bag of Redi-Ice. At first I really didn't like Tyler, he was a bit of a jerk and treated Mandy poorly but once I saw what his circumstances were involving his father I was more understanding. During one of their many encounters Tyler gave her information about his youth she didn't realize was the truth until she met his dad. Both his parents were deaf and having taken care of them he isn't ready to take on Mandy and her son Josh. I liked how Mandy stuck by him and tried to be there for him even if he didn't want her to be. While I didn't really bond with this couple I did like that they had a nice ending to their story. They struggled to find common ground and eventually got on the same page. I loved that this was set in Wisconsin. I have always wanted to live in Green Bay because I am a Packer fan so that was a bonus. Big Boy wasn't one of my favorites of Ruthie's but it's a good story with hot romance and role playing so you can't go wrong there.

Favorite Quote:
“And afterward, we talk about our childhoods over coffee, and you make me laugh, and then I kiss you good night and feel like skipping on my way back to my car because you’re so fucking fantastic.” ARC 75%


I really enjoyed reading the Strangers On A Train series and the covers are gorgeous! Every story was unique to the author and made me swoon, laugh and fan myself! If you are looking for a quick read to get your libido going then these books are definitely what you want! You can buy them on amazon



Or purchase them directly from the publisher and get them half price!










4 comments:

  1. Train sex??? SOLD. Ruthie Knoxx? SOLD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the Bowen are sexy like the Sullivan's but pervier. ;) WIN

    ReplyDelete
  3. This anthology sounds great! And by coincidence, I'm trying to convince the husband to go for a trip on the Amtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fatty Fatty Fur pants?? Dude, I feel the same way. I love animals but when people start treating them like an actual person, I run in the other direction. These sound like a great set of books, glad they wet your whistle ;)

    ReplyDelete

We love getting your comments so lay it on us! Thanks for stopping by!